Wednesday, December 30, 2015

As long as you're breathing, there's no bad days.

The Ghost Fields (Ruth Galloway, #7)The Ghost Fields by Elly Griffiths
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Archaeologist Ruth Galloway is back again, this time called on by Detective Chief Inspector Nelson to investigate a skeleton found in a World War II plane. Once Ruth realizes the dead man sitting in the plane couldn't actually have been the pilot (oh and he's been shot, too), things unfold quickly from there. Ruth and Nelson become ensnared with the upper class Blackstock family, who somehow become enmeshed in all aspects of Nelson's case and investigation. Further, a TV company decides to make a film about the case. This means a return of actor Frank Barker, who was looking to start a relationship with Ruth in the previous novel.

As I've said before, I absolutely love the Ruth Galloway series. I completely identify with Ruth, and I love the way Griffiths writes her - she's a smart, funny, modern woman and mother. This book in the series (#7!) doesn't disappoint. The mystery plot is snappy and intriguing, as we meet various Blackstocks and uncover their diverse motives. In much of the book, the weather is its own sub-plot, and it's done well. We get more character development/advancement with Ruth, Nelson, Nelson's wife Michelle, and Frank, along with the funny tidbits I've come to expect from Ruth (and Kate, who is growing up!). The entire book is cozy and familiar (I love how Ruth identifies with her car, for instance - so me!), yet propelled by a completely enjoyable and thrilling mystery. Can't go wrong with this one. I'm so looking forward to #8, whose review will be posted in early January 2016 (expect the book on bookshelves February 4, 2016 - yay!).

View all my reviews

No comments: