Wednesday, April 18, 2018

And this kid sister thing was old by that time: RELATIVE STRANGERS.

Relative StrangersRelative Strangers by Paula Garner

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Jules is a senior in high school; for as long as she can remember, it's always just been her and her mom, a recovering alcoholic. But when Jules goes to look for a baby picture to include in her senior yearbook, she makes a startling discovery: she spent the majority of her first two years in foster care. Angry at her mom for never telling her, Jules seeks out her foster family. She discovers the picture perfect family she always dreamed of, including her older foster brother, who always dreamed of finding her again. Jules is thrilled, but quickly realizes she also has a crush on him. She's always dreamed of having a family, but will she ruin it all with her unfortunate crush?

I requested this book on a whim from Librarything, and I'm so glad I did. I haven't read Paula Garner's previous book, but I will now. This was just a really enjoyable, touching story that drew me in from the start. I fell for Jules immediately and never stopped. I am typically a pretty stoic reader--it takes a lot to move me--but I actually teared up a couple of times with this one.

The main focus of the novel is Jules, and she proves to be a strong, likeable character and a good storyteller. As I said, I felt engaged with her from the beginning. I had to remind myself a few times that she was still in high school, but that was about it. She's actually pretty mature for her age, really, and does some growing up and maturing as the story progresses.

The supporting characters are varied, and while they aren't as strong as Jules, they certainly help fill out the book. (I'm looking at you, Eli.) There were definitely a few instances where I felt like things were repeated a few times too many: yes, Jules' two best friends knew each other longer than they knew Jules, etc., but they were only minor distractions from the strength of the story. The book hinges on Jules and she doesn't disappoint. Her discovery of her foster family is, honestly, fascinating, as is her newfound friendship with her former foster brother, Luke. At times I was a bit skeptical that a once six-year-old would have such fond memories of his baby foster sister, to the point he wanted to develop the relationship as an adult, but I went with it. Jules' struggle with her sense of identity and belonging is well-done, and I really enjoyed the arc of the novel.

Overall, this was a lovely surprise. It's hard not to fall for Jules, and once you do, this is just such an engaging novel. Her struggle to find herself is both heartbreaking and inspiring. 4 stars.

I received a copy of this novel from the publisher and Librarything in return for an unbiased review (thank you!).

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Google+ ~ Instagram



View all my reviews

No comments: