Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Someday my life will be my own: THE NEW HUSBAND.

The New HusbandThe New Husband by D.J. Palmer

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Nina Garrity's life turned upside down after her husband, Glen, went missing. His boat turned up without him--bloody, with only their dog, Daisy, on it. Then she discovered he was having an affair and that he'd lost his job years ago, leaving them nearly broke. You couldn't blame Nina if she was hesitant to love or trust again. But when she meets Simon, a teacher at her daughter's school, she can't help but fall in love. He's kind, caring, and thoughtful. Everything she needs. Her son, Connor, loves him, but her daughter Maggie is wary. Still, Nina and her kids move in with Simon and she wants to move on. But before she can commit fully, she needs to make sure she isn't making a mistake again, as she did with Glen. As Nina ensures this, she may unravel some secrets she can never bury.

I will give it to this novel--it's a page-turner. I might not have really liked any of the characters (Daisy the dog exempted), but I certainly flew through the book. The narrative style wasn't exactly my favorite; it just felt off to me.


"There was, however, one truth Nina took from the terrible ordeal, an abstract notion that with time and rumination calcified into a harsh new understanding: just because you love someone doesn't mean you know them."



There is no one in this book that I felt the desire to root for, beyond Daisy and poor Maggie, Nina's thirteen-year-old daughter, who is bullied and neglected thanks to all that's going on. I'm sorry, but her clueless mom makes some terrible decisions. I wanted to shake her multiple times.

This book is crazy and honestly, a little too far-fetched for me at times. I love a book filled with twists and turns, but this one might take the cake. Especially since some of them seemed to lack any motivation or backup.

Still, it's a page-turner and a fast read. If you can suspend your disbelief more than I did, you'll probably really enjoy it.

Thank you to St. Martin's Press for my copy!

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Instagram ~ PaperBackSwap ~ Smashbomb



View all my reviews

No comments: