Monday, January 30, 2023

I'm stronger than the monster beneath your bed: BEHIND THE SCENES.

Behind the ScenesBehind the Scenes by Karelia Stetz-Waters
My rating: 4+ of 5 stars

Filmmaker Ash Stewart went through a traumatic experience and a subsequent breakup with her ex that completely derailed her career. Now she's making commercials and is exiled from the film industry and all her former friends, except the loyal Emma. Business consultant Rose Josten has put everything into a job she does not really like just to take care of her sisters after their parents died. Now, thanks to Emma, Rose is helping Ash chase her filmmaking dream by pitching a new project to a famous producer. Rose should be concentrating on making partner at her firm and Ash should be focusing on her film, but the two of them can't help realizing how much they like each other...

I requested this ARC on a whim because I liked the synopsis and oh wow, I'm so glad I did! I love finding a new author, and this book was really good. It was really sweet, very funny, and often sexy. I completely enjoyed watching Rose and Ash fall for each other. Stetz-Waters wrote a story that is very true to the lesbian experience, and Ash and Rose felt like women that I would be friends with. They were easy to like, but also real and flawed. Ash is struggling after her breakup and being pushed out of the industry. She's scared to open up her heart again. Rose, meanwhile, has a lot of anxieties due to her parents' death and the pressure she's felt to care for her sisters. Neither woman felt like a cardboard character, but instead genuine and fully fleshed out. Honestly, I found both Ash and Rose to be badass and sexy! (Also, it's so great to have a lesbian romance with characters in their 30s and 40s.)

The supporting cast in this book is really fun--Rose's sisters are a trip as is Ash's team helping her film. There are places in this book that made me laugh out loud. (Rose's pugs are the best!) Every one supported each other and Ash's movie project, which just made for a feel-good read. There were occasional miscommunications (always my pet peeve) or kept secrets, but they never lasted long--therefore making this the ideal read for me.

Overall, this is an excellent, touching, and funny read. I loved the romance and story. 4+ stars.

I received a copy of this book from Forever (Grand Central Publishing) and Netgalley in return for an unbiased review. Look for BEHIND THE SCENES on 1/31/2023!

View all my reviews

No comments: