Friday, March 22, 2024

That song that's in my soul is why I left: AT HER SERVICE.

At Her Service (Out in Hollywood, #2)At Her Service by Amy Spalding
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Charming sapphic romance!

When I requested this incredibly fun queer romance, I did not realize this book was the second in a series. Luckily, it can certainly stand alone, but I loved it so much, I'll be reading book #1 soon now. Because it's me, of course, I had book# 1 already sitting on my shelves. My house is basically the equivalent of a small library now...

AT HER SERVICE is so charming, featuring a wonderfully relatable main character. Max moves to LA from Kentucky with a dream of a new life, where she climbs the corporate ladder and discovers the love of her life. Instead, she finds herself the assistant to a Hollywood talent agent, stuck in the thankless job with no plan to move up. And don't even get her started on love, where she can do nothing but scroll dating apps and suffer through a series of hapless first dates.

When her (gorgeous, popular, queer) influencer roommate Chelsey suggests Max be the face of Chelsey's latest promotion, a self-actualization app called You Point Oh, Max reluctantly agrees. Suddenly she's receiving career counseling, joining queer kickball leagues, and making the big move with Sadie, the hot bartender she's had a crush on for ages. But when Chelsey crosses line with how much of Max's life she shares with her followers, all of Max's forward progress threatens to tumble. She has to take what she's learned and truly apply it, especially if she wants to keep Sadie.

This is such a "lesbian in your 20s book," and I mean that with the highest praise. Max is so relatable with her fears; thoughts that she is waiting around for life to start; and anxieties about being unable to stand up for herself. Only the most self-assured among us (aka not me) will be unable to find some kernel of truth in Max's story. As she pines for Sadie, you cannot help but desperately want the two to get together, longing to jump into the pages and push the pair closer. Sadie, of course, has her own baggage, worrying she's not good enough for Max, and struggling to realize her dream of buying her uncle's bar.

This is an engaging romance that blossoms without tossing in a bunch of contrived problems for our protagonists to solve. Sure, they face plenty of issues, but for the most part they seem realistic. It makes excellent points about the importance of queer spaces, friendship, and community. The romance is sparkling and winning. In fact, AT HER SERVICE is a winner. 4.5 stars.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and Kensington Books in return for an unbiased review.

View all my reviews

No comments: