Monday, August 10, 2026

When this world feels crazy I'll always fight for you: WHERE HE LEFT ME.

Where He Left Me: A NovelWhere He Left Me: A Novel by Nicole Baart
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

I couldn't put this tense read down!

Sadie, a professor and aspiring writer, and her husband, Felix, an astronomer, move to his childhood home--a dilapidated place in the middle of nowhere, as part of their sabbatical. The house is old, filled with memories of Felix's unhappy childhood, and isolated. When Felix doesn't return home from a business trip, Sadie has no idea what to do, especially as a major storm looms. Then she spots weird images on the security cameras and soon, strangers show up in her greenhouse.

As the storm intensifies, Sadie must try to survive--and find Felix. Doing so unearths some secrets about her husband that she may not want to know.

This is such a well-written story that's part mystery, part character-driven tale. It's incredibly claustrophobic, with the snow sealing Sadie in her home. Both she and the reader feel trapped and slightly terrified. The tension ratchets up at the book goes on, with secrets and surprises piling on. Yet this story is touching at times, with emotion at its core.

I really enjoyed this creepy and suspenseful yet fascinating thriller.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and Atria Books in return for an unbiased review.

View all my reviews

No comments: