Wednesday, February 15, 2017

You thought God was an architect: THE GIRL WITH A CLOCK FOR A HEART.

The Girl with a Clock for a HeartThe Girl with a Clock for a Heart by Peter Swanson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


George Foss is enjoying drinks with his on-again, off-again girlfriend, Irene, in a Boston bar when he is convinced he has spotted his college girlfriend, Liana. When George returns later that evening, his suspicions are confirmed. George hasn't seen Liana for twenty years, since she disappeared in a cloud of uncertain (and illegal) circumstances after their first semester freshmen year. As such, he knows that Liana has probably been on the run for the entire period. She quickly asks George for help, and he finds himself embroiled again in Liana's drama. Immediately, he wonders if his safety (and hers) is at sake.

This is the second book I've read by Swanson now, and I've liked them both well-enough, but haven't been overly impressed with either. So many people seem to love him, so I was kind of disappointed that I didn't enjoy this one more. I never connected with any of the characters, and the book just sort of meandered about, taking a while to get to its various points. Yes, it certainly has some twists and turns, and some "aha" moments, but I was always waiting for some big shocking moment that never came. Instead, the plot was rather straightforward. George was a rather spineless creature who seemed to get into trouble easily, while Liana was never fully fleshed out. I would have liked to learned more about her - besides the fact that she was "heartless."

Overall, while I found the plot for this one intriguing, it didn't wow me, and I don't think this one will stay with me very long.

I received this novel via a Goodreads Giveaway in return for an unbiased review - thank you!

You can read my review of Swanson's novel HER EVERY FEAR here.



View all my reviews

No comments: