Tuesday, January 02, 2024

The future's bright in your favorite horoscope: A WINTER IN NEW YORK.

A Winter in New YorkA Winter in New York by Josie Silver
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Me realizing that I liked this book, except for the entire premise, because I hate when things are based on a lie, ha.

Seriously, though, I could almost excuse Iris, who moves from London to New York after a terrible breakup (that guy was a total jerk) and randomly tells someone at a bookstore a lie. That lie spirals when she meets Gio, a very cute gelato store owner, and suddenly she's trapped in a whole web of lies. Still, I found myself wishing she'd just come clear in the first moment. Iris realizes that Gio has ties to her late mother, who knew his family, and that her mother's scrapbook has a copy of Gio family's precious gelato recipe, which has gone missing in Gio's era. Much drama ensures.

Honestly, it wouldn't be so bad, except there is so so so much buildup about all these lies and half truths and kept secrets (aka the whole book), and then the huge reveal and aftermath sort of happens with a whimper. After all that?! Are you kidding me?

It's sad, because I liked Iris and enjoyed the few chapters that had flashbacks to her mom's life in New York City. Silver captured NYC really well, with great descriptions of the city and its character in various weather conditions and seasons. It's easy to imagine yourself there, eating gelato and seeing the sights from the Brooklyn Bridge. Gio had a very sweet, boisterous, Italian family while I adored Iris' friend Bobby and husband (and the stray cat). So... side characters and setting were excellent and even our main couple was pretty good, I just wish the premise had better legs. 3 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments: