Tuesday, January 09, 2024

There's shadows in my mind: THE GUESTS.

The GuestsThe Guests by Margot Hunt
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

It's been a long time since I read a book in one day, but I did it with THE GUESTS!

This is a great, quick read that flies by: a Category 5 storm, Hurricane Celeste, pounds down on the Davies family-Lee, Marlowe, and their teenage twins. It feels like the hurricane is truly happening and the tension building as the storm hits. Just before Celeste arrives, a boat docks at the family's home, and three strangers (brothers Bo and Jason and Bo's girlfriend Darcy) arrive. Since Celeste changed track, they need a place to stay.

What ensues is a totally wild read. Some of the characters reveal a few surprise connections, and the book feels like a locked room thriller, with the family, the new arrivals, and a few others (a friend, an assistant, a handyman) all stuck in the house. I felt like I could hear the wind howling and rain pounding down. Things get a little preposterous by the end, with a few predictable turns and some not at all, but the result is still a fun, exciting, and often violent (!) thriller.

I received a copy of this book from Thomas & Mercer and Netgalley in return for an unbiased review. Look for THE GUESTS on 01/09/2024!


View all my reviews

No comments: