Thursday, September 10, 2015

Superfluous flummery.

The Guilty OneThe Guilty One by Sophie Littlefield

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


The advertising for this book states that a man is on a bridge, waiting to jump, if the woman on the other end gives him the go ahead. That woman is Maris, whose life fell apart when her daughter, Calla, was murdered. Allegedly, Calla was killed by her boyfriend, Karl. It is his father, Ron, who stands on the bridge, calling Maris.

However, said advertising for this novel is rather misleading. I don't think it gives much away to say that the bridge scene leads off and takes about 2 seconds of the novel. The rest of the book alternates between Ron's story and Maris'. It's interesting, seeing the story unfold from their perspectives, but lags a bit, and Ron's sections drag somewhat. There isn't much that pushes the plot forward -- while billed as a thriller, there doesn't seem to be much mystery here, just psychological issues. I enjoyed Maris' scenes, for the most part, and the people she met along her journey, but perhaps didn't grasp the entire point...

Anyway, this one didn't really do it for me. It had its good moments, but overall wasn't my favorite.

(I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in return for an unbiased review.)



View all my reviews

No comments: