Friday, November 06, 2015

Make your wildest wish and watch it come true.

Deal BreakersDeal Breakers by Laura    Lee

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Devyn and Riley are best friends-- they survived four years of college together. Devyn is focused on graduation and the paid internship that awaits her. Riley is headed to grad school, but he had fun in college as well, including a string of non-serious girlfriends. Riley's not exactly known for monogamy. However, before they head their separate ways, Devyn has one request of Riley - she wants him to help her lose her virginity (yes, seriously). She doesn't want to head into the next phase of her life a virgin and she thinks Riley is the perfect person to assist. Riley is thrilled to help, of course, and plans a special evening. But will that special night change everything for Devyn and Riley?

First of all, I don't know why I keep reading these "New Adult" books. This genre apparently exists on stereotypes and tropes and the ending is basically transparent. In my defense, I picked it up after reading two tough books, with a lot of murder and darkness. Sometimes you just need a fluff book to lighten things up.

For instance, sample dialogue: "I may have just jizzed in my pants a little. How can a woman this hot possibly know football? I think I'm in love." We're not even going to talk about all the things wrong with this.

Still, this book was more compelling than some of the recent New Adult books I've read. If you like New Adult, you'll enjoy this book - it's a fast read and somewhat cute. If you're like me and still adjusting to the genre, you'll roll your eyes at a good deal of the plot and dialogue, but potentially still enjoy the quickness and silliness of it all. 2.5 - 3 stars depending where you fall on the spectrum

(I received an ARC of this novel from Netgalley in return for an unbiased review.)



View all my reviews

No comments: