Friday, December 04, 2015

So desperate to find a way out of my world and finally breathe.

Second House from the Corner: A NovelSecond House from the Corner: A Novel by Sadeqa Johnson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Felicia Lyons seems to have it all - three healthy children, a loving husband, and a busy life juggling the occasional acting gig and stay-at-home motherhood. She's come a long way since a troubled childhood in Philly. Still, Felicia can't help but dreaming of getting away from it all sometimes. Then, suddenly, a blast from her past appears, threatening to upend the life Felicia has so carefully created for herself. Will Felicia be able to save her family and marriage?

This was an interesting and well-written book. Honestly, it was almost too stressful for me to read, which reduced its enjoyment level for me at times. However, it certainly doesn't diminish the writing or the quality of the book - if anything, it was so well-constructed that it made me tense! Felicia is an excellent portrayal of a stressed mother. So often, it seems like books actually gloss over the difficulty of juggling motherhood and life. It will hit home with many parents.

For me, this book rests on some crazy premises - if Felicia and her husband had just *talked* in the beginning, we wouldn't have gone on this whole journey. Still, Johnson does a good job of explaining her Felicia's background, giving us insight into why she's become the person she is today. She's a well-developed and real character, albeit slightly frustrating at times! The ancillary characters are fun and real, especially her grandmother.

Overall, a good read, though just 3/3.5 stars for me personally, because it stressed me out!

(Note: I received an ARC from Netgalley in return for an unbiased review.)

View all my reviews

No comments: