Saturday, October 26, 2019

I get so tired of getting tied up in my thoughts: MOTHER KNOWS BEST.

Mother Knows BestMother Knows Best by Kira Peikoff

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Claire Abrams' world crashed when her mitochondrial DNA passed along a mutation that eventually killed her son, Colton, when he was eight. It devastated Claire and her husband, Ethan. But then Claire discovers Dr. Robert Nash, a fertility doctor who is working with his young research scientist, Jillian Nash, to create the first baby with three genetic parents. This allows Claire to have a healthy baby. The fact that it's currently illegal doesn't stop the trio, but eventually news of their feat leaks, and Claire goes into hiding, joined by Robert. Years later, young Abby lives a sheltered life with her parents, including a mom who barely wants to leave the house. And then there's Jillian, who served a prison sentence for her work on the experiment. She's determined to get credit for her science, and nothing will stop her.


"It is impossible to tell that my beautiful girl is the first of her kind. Even she doesn't know."


I found this book totally addictive. Yes, it's a little crazy at times, but it was a real page-turner, and it had me glued to the pages. I loved Abby, who gets her own turn at telling her story, and I even liked Claire, even if I questioned some of her decisions at times. As someone who has been through IVF, a lot of this story hit close to home, and I could understand and empathize with what was going on, even if the plotline was far more far-fetched than anything that has occurred in my own life. But the ultimate themes of family, searching for a place to belong, and the desire to have safe and healthy children--those are universal.

The book certainly raises some interesting ethical questions. It keeps the science fairly simple, so it's easy to follow along and understand. It makes you think, and with Ethan and Claire on two starkly opposing sides, it lets you put yourself in their shoes and wonder what you would do in a similar situation. The multiple narrators--including Abby, Claire, and Jillian--work well, too.

At the same time, much of the book is an adrenaline filled thriller, with crazy characters and wild situations. I figured out some of the pieces, but it always kept me guessing and interested. I was definitely fascinated and mesmerized, wondering what on earth was going to happen next.


"But someone out there will never give up searching. Someone who's long out of prison, whose name I can't bear to utter or think."


There were a few slightly crazy moments, and I think the ending wrapped up a little too easily, but I liked it, so all is well. This book was exactly what I needed--an addictive read with an interesting story that kept me interested. 4 stars.

I received a copy of this novel from Crooked Lane Books and Netgalley in return for an honest review.


Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Instagram ~ PaperBackSwap ~ Smashbomb





View all my reviews

No comments: