Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Every look is a truce and it's written in stone: ENOLA HOLMES AND THE BLACK BAROUCHE.

Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche (Enola Holmes, #7)Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche by Nancy Springer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I am excited to present my first guest review, from my wonderful wife, Kate! Thanks, babe, for your review of this book, the seventh in Nancy Springer's Enola Holmes' series.

When I heard there was going to be another book in the Enola Holmes series, I jumped at the chance and promised my book-loving wife that I would write a guest review. So, here it is! Please accept my apologies ahead of time for the fact that I cannot (and would never dare try to) match the quality and skill that my wife demonstrates in her own book reviews.

Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche, by Nancy Springer, is another book in the growing series following Ms. Enola Holmes, the 15 year old sister of the famous Sherlock Holmes. This book is being released over 10 years after the last published novel, which came out in 2010. The earlier six novels covered the ongoing story of Enola’s (often contentious) relationship with her brothers (Sherlock and Mycroft), as well as brought the reader resolution about Enola’s missing/runaway mother. This new story starts with a Prologue written by none other than Sherlock himself, who provides a summary of these tales, and tells of his earlier encounters with Enola. His introduction even suggests his level of respect for her has improved dramatically. The new story finds the young detective (or Scientific Perditorian, as she has dubbed herself) seeking the whereabouts of Miss Leticia Glover’s twin sister, Flossie. Glover has been told that her sister has died, but the circumstances surrounding Flossie’s death are mysteriously vague. Initially, Glover seeks the assistance of Mr. Sherlock Holmes, but she ends up with the masterful pair of Enola and Sherlock, who are finally working together on a case. The two detectives set out, albeit in opposite directions, to ascertain the fate of the missing twin.

I think the allure of these books for me is the underlying message that Enola is as good as, if not better (or at least cleverer) than her notorious older brother. In the previous stories I enjoyed her ability to reach conclusions before him, even if she was getting there with only a slight edge. This particular story seamlessly continues the message that Enola’s keen mind works in ways that Sherlock’s doesn’t.

I thoroughly enjoyed this seventh book in the Enola Holmes series and hope that the author continues with her story. And, while I do enjoy that Enola and Sherlock have mended their relationship and are able to work together, I hope Enola can still find time to shine on her own. This particular book began with a Prologue from Sherlock, and ended with an Epilogue also penned from his perspective. As these stories are supposed to be Enola’s, it felt wrong for the final word to be coming from someone else. Beyond that, this was an excellent mystery and fun, quick read.

We received a copy of this book from St. Martin's Press / Wednesday Books in return for an unbiased review. Look for BLACK BAROUCHE on 08/31/2021!

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Instagram ~ PaperBackSwap ~ Smashbomb


View all my reviews

No comments: