Friday, November 19, 2021

It's paradise as long as I'm with you: THE CHRISTMAS WEDDING GUEST.

The Christmas Wedding Guest (Wishing Tree, #1)The Christmas Wedding Guest by Susan Mallery
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Reggie and Dena Somerville are sisters from the small town of Wishing Tree. Reggie, however, hasn't been back to visit since her broken engagement, which lasted all of two days, when her finance proposed on a Friday and broke it off on a Sunday. But since Reggie and Dena's parents are renewing their vows, she finds herself back in town, the scene of her humiliation. Dena doesn't have the best track record with love herself, so she's taken matters into own hands. She's gotten pregnant on her own; she's also a teacher at the local school and runs the B&B handed down by her grandmother. Once back in Wishing Tree, Reggie gets stuck working with Toby, her high school boyfriend, on a holiday charity project. Meanwhile, Dena finds herself drawn to the famous singer who has checked into her B&B. Can the Somerville sisters find it in their hearts to love again?

This is a very sweet and charming holiday romance. The town of Wishing Tree exudes a lovely festive air, a cross between Stars Hollow from Gilmore Girls and a Hallmark set, and I couldn't help but find myself rooting for our couples. Sure, Toby frustrated me sometimes (he's a single dad with some particular quirks), but these characters were personable, flawed, and strong. Perhaps the most lovable was Reggie's dog Belle, who was a force to be reckoned with, followed by Toby's sweet young son.

The story is repetitive at times and seemed a bit uneven--I couldn't tell if the author was going for cute or erotic at points, and it was a bit jarring--but overall this was a fun and merry read. I would have liked an epilogue, but I am hoping that since this is the beginning of a series that maybe we will see some of these characters again. I would definitely read the next book. 3.5 stars, rounded to 4 here.

I received a copy of this book from Harlequin and Netgalley in return for an unbiased review.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Smashbomb ~ Instagram

View all my reviews

No comments: