Wednesday, March 02, 2022

I can't hide what I am, guess it's plain to see: THE VERIFIERS.

The VerifiersThe Verifiers by Jane Pek
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Claudia Lin secretly works for Veracity, a dating detective agency for those who use matchmaking sites. Claudia is the youngest of three siblings, and her brother and sister resent her for receiving the majority of her mother's attention. Her mom, meanwhile, just wishes Claudia would settle down with a nice Chinese boy (this may be difficult, since Claudia is gay). Claudia loves mysteries and books (she wrote her thesis on Jane Austen), so when a Veracity client goes missing, she starts to investigate. Before she knows it, Claudia is swept up in a web of lies and trouble.

"Sometimes I fear I may be out of joint with my time."

This is an interesting and complex novel, part mystery and part character driven family tale. I don't know if it will be for everyone, but I enjoyed it. At times, it offers a nearly textbook-like exploration of the matchmaking industry and data exploitation, going very in-depth into these topics. If you don't like your books to be on the cerebral side, it may feel like a bit much. But this is also a really enjoyable, witty, and sarcastic read with an awesome protagonist--a lesbian, Chinese character who loves mysteries and reading and is smart, spunky, and yet reserved. She made me laugh and I found myself totally rooting for her. My only complaint is that I wanted a bit more happening for Claudia in the romance department!

THE VERIFIERS is packed with New York descriptions, setting you right smack down in the middle of the city as Claudia rides her bike all about. We also watch her navigate her difficult family. This family thread is often a sad undercurrent, as I found them to be difficult to like at times. She makes frequent references to various mysteries, usually classics, and to her beloved Inspector Yuan, a favorite series she grew up with. There's also lots of nods toward literature, many of those classics as well. These meta nods will be a big hit with many readers.

The mystery here is a bit hard to follow at times, as it threads itself into the world of matchmaking and data analytics. But it's interesting and intriguing, and Claudia is a great character to follow. Overall, I enjoyed this detailed, diverse, and witty mystery. 4 stars.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Smashbomb ~ Instagram




View all my reviews

No comments: