Friday, March 29, 2024

You can be soft, honey, you can be strong: GIRLS WITH BAD REPUTATIONS.

Girls with Bad Reputations (The Lillys Book 2)Girls with Bad Reputations by Xio Axelrod
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

So I received GIRLS WITH BAD REPUTATIONS as an ARC, didn't realize it was part of a series, read the first book, didn't love it (it was fine), and went into this one with low expectations. I did wind up liking the second book a bit more than the first, but it wasn't an all-time favorite.

In book two, we find the Lillys preparing to go on tour, gaining more popularity with every stop. While book one focuses on Toni, the second features Kayla, the group's drummer. Growing up under the watchful eye of her controlling mother, who demanded nothing short of perfection, music and drumming were Kayla's escape. On tour, she forms a fast friendship with their bus driver, Ty, who is escaping life in his own way. But the Lillys' fame threatens to upend both Kayla and Ty's lives.

Two issues here. One: instant love. Kayla and Ty fall head over heels after interacting about twice over two weeks. Please, form a deeper, more realistic connection before vowing your deep, undying love to one another.

Second: These two have their heads in the sand, or the clouds, or both, to the most frustrating degree. Who joins a band expecting to stay hidden and not noticed by the press? Oh I'm in this band, and I want to be successful but oh, no, I am getting famous, and this is a huge problem because my parents will know I'm in a band? Are we twelve, trying to skip school? Ridiculous. And Ty, while I liked him much more, makes some insane choices where he refuses to face reality and could have improved his quality of life YEARS earlier.

Luckily, issue number one mostly vanishes as the book progresses. Kayla and Ty are cute after a while, I will grudgingly admit. Two little bookworms, quiet and reserved; they definitely are made for each other. Ty has an adorable relationship with his Pop Pop, who has raised him (and seems to be magically wealthy...). And, truly, their ability to avoid reality means they are made for one another.

There's just so much going on here. Continuing drama with Candi, a former Lilly band-mate from book one. So many details about the music industry, touring/being on the road, and more. Sometimes it all just feels... too much. The emphasis on a rock band fronted by diverse women is awesome, though.

Overall, I liked each member of the Lillys enough to get drawn into the story. I just wish everything was a bit more plausible, with more time spent on character motivations and less on minute details.

I received a copy of this book from Negalley and Sourcebooks Casablanca in return for an unbiased review.

View all my reviews

No comments: