Friday, September 21, 2018

The day is still young but I'm one more day old.

The Other WomanThe Other Woman by Sandie Jones

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Emily thinks she's finally met the perfect man when she runs into Adam at a bar. They quickly begin dating and all seems great, until Emily goes to meet Adam's mother, Pammie. Upon meeting Pammie, Emily realizes that the woman not only seemingly despises her, she will do just about anything to keep Emily and Adam apart. As Emily and Adam get closer, Pammie seems more and more determined to break the two up. Even worse, Adam seems oblivious to his beloved mother's schemes. Emily loves Adam, but she is powerless against Pammie's path of destruction.

I was so excited to read this one, as I had heard so many good things about it, but I wound up being really disappointed. This novel just wasn't for me. For a good portion of it, I felt like I was reading a similar-themed (better) book (Michelle Frances' The Girlfriend), and I couldn't shake that feeling of familiarity.

But, the worst part for me was Emily. I just found her to be so incredibly annoying and whiny. Most of the situations that involved her and Pammie seemed contrived and overblown, and I lost my patience over and over while reading these dramatic and ridiculous scenes. If I were Emily, I would have just walked away. It was all so stupid. I could have had so much sympathy for her if she seemed to have a good head on her shoulders, but no. She was wimpy and self-centered and ugh. I would have stopped reading, but everyone had promised such a great twist.

So yeah. Twist?! There were no twists here that surprised me. I guessed the "big surprise" part of the book early on, though I still found a bit of the ending somewhat enjoyable. Still, it was not enough to make up for the rest of the book frustrating me so.

So, overall, irritating main character and no crazy, enjoyable twists--definitely not my favorite. Still, tons and tons of people *loved* this one, so it might be a good fit for you. It just didn't work for me. 2.5 stars.

I received a copy of this novel from the publisher and Netgalley in return for an unbiased review (thank you!).

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Google+ ~ Instagram



View all my reviews

No comments: