Monday, September 10, 2018

You ain’t worth the life they hand out in a town this small: SADIE.

SadieSadie by Courtney Summers

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Sadie's pretty much always been an adult. Her mom struggled with drugs and alcohol since Sadie was born. Sadie basically raised her younger sister, Mattie. So when Mattie is found dead at the age of thirteen, Sadie's life completely falls apart. The police have no idea who killed her, so Sadie is determined to find justice for her little sister. She leaves town following the only bits of evidence she has. Meanwhile, a few months later, West McCray, a radio anchor, hears about Sadie's story while on the road. He starts thinking about missing girls, as Sadie's de facto grandmother, May Beth, is now convinced she's missing. He starts a podcast that tracks Sadie and her trail for Mattie's killer, trying to find out what happened. But is he too late?


"I'm going to kill a man. I'm going to steal the light from his eyes. I want to watch it go out. You aren't supposed to answer violence with more violence but sometimes I think violence is the only answer."


I had heard a lot of hype about Sadie before I started it, but luckily this is one of those rare books that really lives up to all the buzz. The novel gets off to a captivating start and never really lets up. It's quite the page-turner and really a tense, heartbreaking journey. You get fully immersed into Sadie's journey between Summers' gorgeous writing and the book's format. The novel alternates between chapters told in Sadie's point of view and then chapters told in West's podcast format.

The result is really spellbinding: West is just a little behind Sadie in her quest, but somehow it all works perfectly, and you feel like you're hurtling (to nowhere good) along with these characters. I wouldn't have thought the podcast pieces would work so well, but they were great, and I found myself enjoying those chapters a lot. You get swept up with West and his desire to find Sadie.

Part of feeling so much a part of this book is because it's so, so well-written. Wow, Courtney Summers can write. This novel is almost lyrical it's so beautiful in its descriptions, in Sadie's narration of her life and her situations. The characters--both the good guys and the bad--are so vivid they almost fly off the pages. You can just picture Sadie--alone in the world and hurting--with the world against her. The book is magical in that sense.


I live in a place that's only good for leaving, is all that needs to be said about it, and I don't let myself look back. Doesn't matter if I want to, it's just better if I don't.


I mean. C'mon. This girl. I dare you to read this book and not fall for Sadie. It's pretty much impossible. It's certainly not an easy read, and I felt like this one sort of broke me down and spit me out a bit. I wasn't sure about that ending, but I completely understood it. It was what the book deserved, just perhaps not what I hoped.

Overall, this is a beautifully-written, incredibly captivating book. I was immediately sucked in wondering what happened to Mattie and Sadie. The characters are real, and it's a read that will stick with you. Definitely recommend. 4 stars.

Thank you to Wednesday Books for my copy, which I received in return for an unbiased review.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Google+ ~ Instagram



View all my reviews

No comments: