Friday, August 09, 2019

And the battle lines are clearly drawn: THE SUMMER I TURNED PRETTY.

The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer, #1)The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I've been in such a YA mood lately and determined to work on my self-imposed #readwhatyouown challenge, so I picked up this one, the first in a trilogy.

I couldn't help but compare this book to Han's To All the Boys I've Loved Before series, but Belly (yes, they call this poor girl Belly) is no Lara Jean.

This is a rather predictable yet fun book as Belly returns to the beach house where she spends each summer with her Mom; her Mom's best friend Susannah; and Susannah's two sons, teenage Conrad and Jeremiah. This summer, Belly is fifteen and growing up--and it seems like everything is changing.

So I resented that Belly supposedly only deserved attention because she was now "pretty," though thankfully another boy comes on the scene who appreciates her for more than her looks. Still, I must admit, I was caught up in the book's drama, and this was pretty much the diversion and break from thrillers that I as seeking. And it definitely made me yearn for the beach. I won't lie, I'll probably check out the second book in the series out of curiosity, despite my complaints. 2.5/3 stars.


Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Instagram ~ PaperBackSwap ~ Smashbomb



View all my reviews

No comments: