Tuesday, January 07, 2020

It's just the heavy hand of time: MR. NOBODY.

Mr. NobodyMr. Nobody by Catherine Steadman

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Emma Lewis is neuropsychiatrist, who is surprised when she's asked to work on a case for a newsworthy patient. Dubbed "Mr. Nobody," he's a man found on a British beach, in wet clothes and without any identification. He won't speak and the hospital staff are all drawn to him. But for Emma to take the case, it means returning to a place that she left fourteen years ago in disgrace--a place she's worked to leave behind and erase any signs of herself from.


"Why can't I remember? Why can't I remember my name? The weight of what this means bears down on him with each cold snatched breath he takes. Fear pumping through him, primal and quickening. Oh God. It's all gone. His world shrinks to a pinhead and then dilates so wide, suddenly terrifyingly borderless."


This book started out like gangbusters. Alternating between Emma and Mr. Nobody, whom the hospital staff quickly dubs Matthew, I was drawn in immediately. Who on earth is Matthew, why can't he remember who he is, and what is his deal? But there were a few issues. Emma clearly has a backstory. Yes, something happened to her fourteen years ago. To me, this is the equivalent of "vaguebooking"--you know when someone posts something on Facebook or social media: "Something horrible has happened. Oh woe is me." And then all their friends have to either guess, or say "Oh I'm so sorry," but the poster never actually tells you what happened? I'm sorry, but in books, after a while, dragging this all out is too much. Just freaking tell us what happened to you, Emma, or stop alluding to it!

So Emma and Matthew, of course, surpass patient/doctor boundaries, finding each other fascinating. There are, accordingly, twists in the book. Some, I will hand it to Steadman, are pretty darn good. Much of the book is quite readable and moves at a good pace--Emma's allusions to her past not withstanding. It's certainly intriguing. There are some interesting side characters: a local police officer and his nosy reporter wife; a benevolent nurse, etc. Emma's kind and patient brother.

But then the ending and biggest reveal comes along and eh. I found it a little anticlimactic. After all we've been through together, Emma?! I don't know. I was hoping for more, especially after all the fuss about Something in the Water, which I still haven't read. (I know, I know. It's on my TBR.)

So, in the end, this is an intriguing one. The plot is definitely original, I'll give you that. But throw in a slightly irritating main character and a somewhat disappointing ending and it was a 3.5 star read for me-just barely.

I received a copy from Random House/Ballantine and Netgalley in return for an honest review.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Instagram ~ PaperBackSwap ~ Smashbomb



View all my reviews

No comments: