Saturday, April 11, 2020

Be of good heart evermore: JOSH AND HAZEL'S GUIDE TO NOT DATING.

Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not DatingJosh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren

My rating: 4+ of 5 stars


Hazel Bradford is a force of nature. She's a third grade teacher without a filter, and she comes with a variety of pets (including a parrot). As such, Hazel realizes most men she dates aren't usually prepared for, well, Hazel. Hazel has known Josh Im since college. The first time they met, she threw up on his shoes. Then she sent him an embarrassing email post-surgery. Josh is a steady, calm guy--not exactly up for Hazel's antics. But when they randomly meet ten years after college, he finds Hazel surprisingly refreshing. The two don't date of course--they aren't compatible, right? Instead, they set each other up on a series of insane double blind dates. Nothing could go wrong with that plan...


"Being near Hazel is like being in a room with a mini-cyclone."


I've read a variety of Christina Lauren novels by now, and this was one of my favorites. For a short minute, I thought Hazel was going to be too zany and over the top for me, and then I got to know her. I then fell in love with her, and I was immediately rooting for our caring, funny, and yes, sometimes, crazy heroine. The best part was that Josh was great in his own reliable, sweet way, too. There's nothing better than a romance where you care for both partners. They were an excellent couple, and I wanted nothing more than to see Josh and Hazel get together. The two had wonderful chemistry and the whole book just had me grinning goofily.

Josh and Hazel are both damaged and wary, but not in that annoying way that has you rolling your eyes and wishing they'd just get over it all. Josh's girlfriend has hurt him and Hazel is constantly passed over by guys who think she's too over the top. Neither deserve this pain, and you quickly want them to get together and be healed. Of course it isn't that easy. When they come up with the double date angle (but not dating each other), laughter ensues, as well as some heartbreak.

There aren't too many side characters in this one: the focus is on Hazel and Josh, but I really enjoyed Hazel's mom, as well as Josh's sister, Emily. And there's plenty of fun to be had with some of the folks we encounter on the blind dates. Josh and Hazel seem so real; our writing duo capture them quite well. Hazel's zest for life coupled with her vulnerability, for instance, shine brightly. And Josh, well, I just wanted to hug him sometimes.

In the end this a really fun, sweet book. It's humorous yet realistic and tender. I adored Hazel and Josh-they were one of my favorite couples in a while. 4+ stars.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Instagram ~ PaperBackSwap ~ Smashbomb



View all my reviews

No comments: