Monday, April 27, 2020

In the maelstrom of your mind you are swirled: THE SPLIT.

The SplitThe Split by Sharon J. Bolton

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Felicity Lloyd works on the remote island of South Georgia in Antarctica studying glaciers. While that's her profession, her location is not an accident. She's gone as far away from her home in Cambridge as possible to escape her ex-husband, Freddie, whom she knows is methodically hunting her down. Meanwhile, back in Cambridge, there are people--including a doctor--whom are looking into Felicity and Freddie's twisted relationship. And it may bring all of them into a shocking confrontation in South Georgia.


"The ends of the Earth. That's how far she ran this time. Not far enough."


I'm pretty sure this book had me reading with my brow actually furrowed for about the first two thirds. I was perplexed and confused, trying to work out Felicity's character--her intentions, motivations, and what on earth she was doing. I won't reveal much, as it's best to go into this one spoiler-free, but there's a lot going on with her and, as such, this is a very compelling and fascinating tale.

The book crosses time periods and perspectives, as we hear from folks in South Georgia, Cambridge, and elsewhere. I guessed one big piece before one of the characters--whether this was intentional or not, I'm not sure. (I felt superior to the doctor, but who knows, ha.) I can tell you that I read this book in three frantic chunks, desperately wanting to know the deal with Felicity and Freddie. It's a little crazy, a little out-there, and a bit extreme, but it certainly keeps you flipping the pages, I will grant Bolton that. I'm not sure if it's a book you really enjoy, per se, but it's one you consume (or does it consume you?), sucking in the story and the wild characters until there is nothing left. 4 stars.

A big thanks to St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books and Netgalley for my copy in return for an unbiased review, as I really love Sharon Bolton and her writing! This book releases in the U.S. on 4/28/2020.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Instagram ~ PaperBackSwap ~ Smashbomb



View all my reviews

No comments: