Thursday, August 13, 2020

I'm learning to like myself: THE SUMMER GIRLS.

The Summer Girls (Lowcountry Summer #1)The Summer Girls by Mary Alice Monroe
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Breezy summer vacation read

Marietta Muir--known to her granddaughters as Mamaw--is turning eighty. Her one wish is that those granddaughters, Dora, Carson, and Harper, return to her home, Sea Breeze, in Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina for (unbeknownst to the girls) one last summer.

"Three granddaughters, three necklaces, three months... she thought to herself. This was the plan."

Each granddaughter is struggling in their own way, and no one is really prepared to spend the summer with Mamaw, besides Carson. Carson is broke, her career in shambles. Dora's marriage is falling apart. And Harper is struggling to distance herself from her controlling mother. Three sisters--each with the same father--find themselves together once again.

I had intended to read this book on a Florida beach vacation, which was canceled due to the pandemic. It made me miss the beach, with its lush descriptions of the South Carolina Low Country. Harper finds solace in the beach and a dolphin friend (yes, you read that right). The book is silly and cheesy, and exactly what I would have wanted to read while on my trip. I especially liked Carson and will eventually pick up the next in the series (each book is told from the perspective of a different sister). 3+ stars.

Goodreads ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Google+


View all my reviews

No comments: