Tuesday, August 18, 2020

This is a lonely town I'll never let you down: HOT DOG GIRL.

Hot Dog GirlHot Dog Girl by Jennifer Dugan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A funny, sweet, and surprisingly touching romance

Elouise Parker (known as Lou) wants to have an amazing summer before her senior year of high school. She's ready to work at Magic Castle, her beloved amusement park, with all her friends. But then Lou is assigned as the giant hot dog at Magic Castle--again. Her crush, Nick, works at Magic Castle too (as a diving pirate), but he's dating the girl who plays the Princess. (Seriously.) And Lou's best friend, Seeley, doesn't seem too thrilled about trying to help set up Lou and Nick. Even worse, it turns out this is Lou's last summer--ever--at Magic Castle, which is closing for good after the summer ends. Is there any way Lou can salvage her summer--and find a way to make Nick fall for her?

"But still, there are so many things I have planned for these last few months before we're sucked up in the frenzy of senior year, and playing the hot dog isn't one of them."

It took me a little while to get into this book, but once I did, I really enjoyed it. Lou's mom left when Lou was a kid and Magic Castle means the world to Lou--it's where her parents shared memories and then Lou later on. Its closing devastates her and she's shocked that the owner has no desire to save it. Coupled with her hopeless crush on Nick, Lou is a pool of self-pity in the beginning of the book and, truly, a bit of a downer. (Although, seriously, I wouldn't want to wear a giant hot dog costume at a roasting hot theme park either, so she has me there.)

But once you get into the rhythm of Lou, this is a fun and really lovely book. There's great queer representation, between Lou's lesbian best friend, Seeley and Lou herself, who is bi. Seeley has recently broken up with her girlfriend, so Lou is also determined to set her up (sometimes with disastrous consequences). Setting a book at an amusement park is great. I love theme parks and while this was just a small town place, it was an enjoyable and fun location to read about, especially when it involved a group of teens.

Dugan captures teens really well, too. Lou, Seeley, Nick, his girlfriend--they all jump off the page. They seem real, and I enjoy that they seemed like actual teens. Not disaffected teens, not rich boarding school teens trying to hide a body, but honest teens whom you would actually meet and be friends with.

There were pages where I found myself laughing out loud. As a bi person, I loved having characters I could empathize with and relate to--this book is sweet and heartwarming. Lou's journey (and Seeley's) is great and makes for an excellent read.

Overall, this is a lovely, touching and also humorous read about love, friendship, and teens growing up. 4 stars.

Goodreads ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Google+

View all my reviews

No comments: