Wednesday, September 30, 2020

You can't believe a word she says: A GOOD GIRL'S GUIDE TO MURDER.

A Good Girl's Guide to MurderA Good Girl's Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Pippa (Pip) decides to write her senior capstone project on the missing persons case of Andie Bell. Everyone in the town of Fairview believes popular Andie was murdered by her boyfriend Sal Singh, who then killed himself. The story still haunts the town five years later--including Sal's family and his younger brother, Ravi. Pip knew Sal, though, and he was always so kind to her. As she starts digging into the case, with Ravi's help, hoping to cast some doubt on the investigation, Pip starts discovering evidence that could exonerate Sal--and a lot of dark secrets that people in Fairview do not want dug up.

"'Because I don’t think your brother did it—and I’m going to try to prove it.'"

This is a dark and twisty thriller with an improbable but immediately likable protagonist. While I found it a bit unlikely that this high schooler could become such an excellent detective, I soon put my doubts aside. Pip is tough and determined and while some of the plot bordered on implausible, I was there for it, because I quickly fell for her, and for Ravi, Sal's younger brother.

“'It’s not just that he’s gone. It’s that…well, we’re not allowed to grieve for him, because of what happened.'"

Forming a partnership, the two dig deep into Andie's case, interviewing friends, family, and turning their town on its side. The result is an incredibly twisty and dark story-its sad, but sweet too. I loved the pluckiness of Pip; her friendship with Ravi; and the way the clues slowly unfolded, allowing us to see the horrible secrets and lies that led to what truly happened to Andie.

All in all, this is a quick read, full of twists and turns, and featuring a strong protagonist. 4 stars.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Instagram ~ PaperBackSwap ~ Smashbomb

View all my reviews

No comments: