Wednesday, April 07, 2021

The price you pay for love: YOU LOVE ME.

You Love Me (You, #3)You Love Me by Caroline Kepnes
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A creepy but long-winded entry in the YOU series

Joe Goldberg has resolved to be a good guy. No more obsessions, no more killing to get what he wants. He's moving to the Pacific Northwest, he's going to work in a library (he has some experience with books, after all), and he's reformed. It's at the library where he meets her. Mary Kay DiMarco. A librarian. Beautiful, older. She's also a mother. She's busy and distracted. But Joe knows true love will prevail, because he's doing things the right way. With his undying love and friendship, Mary Kay will have no choice but to fall for him.

"And of course you couldn't help it. After all, you love me."

I was incredibly excited to hear there would be a third "Joe" book, because I can still remember reading the first, YOU. I was alone on a mini-vacation and spent the entire thing creeped out, feeling watched, thanks to how good Kepnes is at writing Joe and his obsessiveness. The good thing about YOU LOVE ME is that she still captures Joe's voice perfectly. He's just... Joe. Obsessed. Weird. Witty. Over the top.

(Stop reading if you don't want to know what happened in the first two books.)

In YOU LOVE ME, Joe is fleeing Love--not the concept, but the actual person, from book two. After his encounters with her, he's ready to be on the straight and narrow. He realizes he has no more chances, no more "get out of jail free" cards. Starting over in the Pacific Northwest is it.

So, while Joe is still his usual creepy self, he's slightly diminished. We don't get full-on stalk/kill Joe, and it's a little disappointing. I'm not going to lie: I want Joe to triumph over others. I like when Joe wins. And, sadly, I found myself not wanting to go back and pick this book up after I started it. I was so bummed! It was long, meandering, and all the twists seemed either odd and too convenient or just really strange. It dragged on, lacking the ominous tension of YOU.

I still rooted for Joe, of course. That's the talent Kepnes brings, making us cheer on the bad guy. But there was less "Joe versus evil" than "Joe versus annoying" in this read. Of course we wanted Joe to win--his foes were downright irritating.

Overall, this book still captures Joe's voice really well, but the actual story seems lacking. It's long and couldn't keep my full interest. Now, if there's a book four, will I still read it? Sure. 2.5 stars, rounded to 3 here, because there's always something about Joe.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and Random House in return for an unbiased review.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Instagram ~ PaperBackSwap ~ Smashbomb

View all my reviews

No comments: