Friday, December 03, 2021

I don't want to be one of those forlorn fools out on the street: BATH HAUS.

Bath HausBath Haus by P.J. Vernon
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Oliver has a past history of addiction and abuse. He has a safe life now with his partner, Nathan, who is a doctor. However, he jeopardizes that when he goes to a bathhouse when Nathan is out of town. While there, a man tries to kill him and then begins stalking Oliver and making his life miserable. Terrified of ruining everything, Oliver lies to Nathan about the incident and chaos ensues.

I'm definitely the outlier for this book, but I didn't love it as much as everyone else. I am always glad to see a gay protagonist, but never thrilled when they are cheating, lying, and generally up to no good. I was not as invested in the characters of BATH HAUS as I had hoped--I didn't care for anyone, even Oliver, that much. There are a lot of side plot lines: one with Oliver's ex, one with Nathan's friend, one with Nathan's parents--and they often seem distracting and as if there's too much going on at once.

As the book goes on, it goes get better and it definitely kept me guessing. It's tense and suspenseful, for sure. There's a limited pool of suspects, but you find yourself flipping from person to person and thinking it's each one for a few pages. Still, this just wasn't what I had expected or as good as I hoped. I am not a fan of books where the characters do not communicate, and wow, that certainly happened here.

Overall, this is quite a page-turner, but I couldn't find myself invested in the characters. Still, basically everyone else on the planet seemed to love it. 3 stars.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Smashbomb ~ Instagram

View all my reviews

No comments: