Wednesday, December 22, 2021

If I could go back in time, I would in a second: FLOAT PLAN.

Float Plan (Beck Sisters, #1)Float Plan by Trish Doller
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Ever since Anna lost her fiance, Ben, to suicide, she's been wandering around like a lost soul. But when a reminder pops up about the sailing trip they had planned, she decides to take it. She sets off in their sailboat to take the trip around the Caribbean that Ben had meticulously designed. But after one night, Anna realizes she can't do the trip alone (and survive). So she hires a professional to help her. Keane is also grieving, in his own way, and dealing with a life that hasn't turned out like he's planned. Together the two need to make it to Puerto Rico--and perhaps find a way to rediscover happiness.

"One of the things I’ve learned is that suicide doesn’t break a person’s heart just once."

This is a lovely book--it's also much sadder than I expected. If you've lost someone to suicide, it will hit you right in the gut. It deals with loss and grief very directly, but also in a very touching way. It's quite a "boaty" sailing book--there is a lot about sailing and boating and such terminology. Sometimes it's a bit much and the story seems to get lost in the details.

FLOAT PLAN is about finding your way back to your life after loss and even finding love after sadness. That part is quite well-done. As for Keane and Anna as a couple, I didn't particularly love them together. But this is a sensitive and well-written book, which pushes up the score. I'm not sure I really knew the characters fully (though I knew the sailing terms), but I really enjoyed the writing and the ideas presented. 3.5 stars.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Smashbomb ~ Instagram


View all my reviews

No comments: