Thursday, March 16, 2023

But it's gonna be a long ride: THE FINAL GAMBIT.

The Final Gambit (The Inheritance Games, #3)The Final Gambit by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The third book in Barnes' Inheritance Games trilogy finds Avery Grimes so close to hitting her one-year mark of inheriting the multi-billion-dollar Hawthorne family fortune. But, as always, nothing is ever easy, and trouble literally shows up at her door.

I really love these books and the tough, plucky Avery. As with the first two books, there are a ton of characters and family dynamics to keep track of--I had to keep reminding myself who gave birth to whom, etc. But I think Barnes is brilliant to write such complex stories and still make the characters come across as so unique and human. There are truly puzzles within puzzles in these books (weird discs, secret tunnels, codes--and that's just a few--and if I was in Avery's position, I would be screwed, because I do not have the brain for such situations! Luckily, Avery is not me, and I love reading as she and the Hawthorne boys tackle all the trickery handed down from the late Tobias Hawthorne, plus a new adversary in this story. There are tons of dark secrets and power struggles. We see Grayson struggling while Avery and Jameson are going strong. Barnes completely brings us into the world of Avery and the Hawthorne brothers. Things seemed to end a little quickly after all we've been through, but it seems like a fitting end nonetheless. 4+ stars.

View all my reviews

No comments: