Thursday, August 10, 2023

You gotta dance, like a symphony of joy: CHANGE OF PLANS.

Change of PlansChange of Plans by Dylan Newton
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

I keep telling myself to stop requesting random ARCs, but I can't, and the reason is books like this. The premise sounded intriguing, and I adored this incredibly charming story. Chef Bryce Weatherford becomes guardian to her three nieces June, 12; Cecily, 8; and Addison, 5, after the death of her brother and sister-in-law. If suddenly leaving her job and moving to a small town to care for these spunky girls isn't enough, Bryce has to fight off guardianship overtures from the girls' maternal grandparents. She finds an unlikely ally in Ryker Matthews, who rescues the group at the grocery store. The former Marine is struggling with own demons, though.

This is a delightful romance filled with fun and serious moments. I'm a total sucker for stories with kids, and Bryce's nieces are silly but very touching as they grapple with the death of their parents. Ryker is a guarded Marine dealing with PTSD; he has a below-the-knee amputation and phantom pain from his missing limb. It's rare to read a book that handles the military, PTSD, and amputation so well--and with the respect these topics deserve. I adored the stoic Ryker and his introverted ways.

CHANGE is still a really funny and cute story even if it touches on some tough subjects. Both Ryker and Bryce have hang ups, between his PTSD and her trying to keep the girls and figure out her life, but the instant attraction between the two crackles. Their banter is witty and sexy. Bryce is a tough cookie, and both main characters are more unique than you see in your usual romance. Overall, I really enjoyed this one. I didn't realize it when I read it, but it's the third in a series about the Matthews brothers, but can be read as a stand-alone. Looking forward to catching up on the first two! 4.5 stars.

I received a copy of this book Netgalley and Forever (Grand Central Publishing) in return for an unbiased review.

View all my reviews

No comments: