Monday, August 14, 2023

But I found a place where I can erase my past: THE MOST LIKELY CLUB.

The Most Likely ClubThe Most Likely Club by Elyssa Friedland
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In high school, best friends Melissa, Priya, Tara, and Suki were going places. Their senior superlatives confirmed it (think Most Likely to Win the White House and Cure Cancer). At their 25th-year high school reunion, Melissa, Priya, and Tara reunite--Suki is off running her popular, million-dollar makeup business. The other women decide to get back to their old selves, forming a club "The Most Likely Girls" based on their superlatives. It reminds them of their younger selves and their strong friendship.

This was a good enough book -- certainly easy to relate to. I graduated from high school a year after these ladies, so I enjoyed the 90s era nostalgia that permeated the story. It started off as a slow mover; it's over 100 pages in before we get to the true premise of fulfilling their superlatives.
We learn a bit about the four girls in high school, but mostly focus on the four women navigating their 40s. Suki's success has a bit of its own story. The book touches on fighting the patriarchy as well as motherhood, marriage, and running businesses. The theme of trying to capture the optimism or vibrancy of high school runs throughout. I enjoyed Melissa's character the most--she and her teenage daughter grew on me. 3+ stars.


View all my reviews

No comments: