Monday, October 26, 2015

Like a house of cards, one blow from caving in.

Fates and FuriesFates and Furies by Lauren Groff

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This novel details the story of Lotto and Mathilde, who meet as their college days are ending and marry shortly thereafter. Lotto and Mathilde appear to all as a glamorous and lovely couple-- adored by all their friends. However, their marriage and relationship may not be all it appears - even to each other.

Groff starts off the book from Lotto's point of view and then halfway through, we get Mathilde's side. (Therefore, everyone must compare it to "Gone Girl," which is driving me crazy. Can we just stop using "Gone Girl" as the marker to which to compare every book written since?! Thank you.) It's an interesting and well-done plot device, in Groff's deft hands, and you find yourself amazed at how the relationship differs between the two perspectives.

There's a lot of discussion of Lotto and Mathilde's parties (a bit much for me) and a backstory to Lotto's childhood (and eventually Mathilde's). Groff does an excellent job of showing how Lotto and Mathilde's childhood formed the people they became as adults -- and how they acted as spouses. I won't lie - I enjoyed Mathilde's section a bit more, even if I didn't perhaps like her as much as Lotto as a person - she's an interesting character. The end is a little much, but the novel is still well-done. I'd rate it as 3.5 stars - some of it dragged a bit for me, but I certainly enjoyed it.





View all my reviews

No comments: