Sunday, February 10, 2019

The past is the past, it is what it is: WINTER IN PARADISE.

Winter in Paradise (Paradise, #1)Winter in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand

My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars


It's New Year's Eve in chilly Iowa, and Irene Steele has just enjoyed a lovely evening with a friend--her husband away on business per usual. But Irene's idyllic life is quickly shattered when she receives a phone call: her husband Russ' helicopter has crashed on St. John island, in the Virgin Islands. It was carrying him, the pilot, and a woman. Irene had no idea her husband was even in St. John. So, she heads to warmth of the Caribbean with her two sons, Cash and Baker, and they are shocked to learn that Russ owned property in St. John, where he was known as the "Invisible Man" to many. As Irene digs deeper, she realizes Russ had a secret life on the island and a second family. Devastated, she and her boys try to unravel what her husband left behind, but they may only be at the tip of the iceberg.


"Nobody can hold a candle to the Steele family when it comes to personal drama."


This was such a good book. I found it to be totally engrossing. It was a compelling read: dramatic in some places and fun and engaging in others. As always, Hilderbrand has a way of reeling you in. Her characters are so real and fully formed. I could feel Irene's pain and shock; Baker and Cash's disbelief; and the horror of those on the island, who lost someone they loved, as well.

Maybe it's just the part of me who loves a good soap opera, but I was totally swept up in the drama of this novel. I felt completely transported into the world of the Steeles and St. John island. While I'll have to wait a while for the next book in this series (more on that in a bit), I enjoyed this book so much that it had me tracking down Hilderbrand's Winter series, so I could continue reading her work. I have the first three books (of four), so I will be digging into those soon. Not since I read a book by Liane Moriarty and then read her entire catalog, have I felt so into an author at the moment.

And speaking of this series, there's definitely a cliffhanger at the end. Be prepared. I'm quite excited to read the next book and see where the Steele family and all their drama and intrigue takes us. Such unlikely partnerships form in this one; there's an exciting love triangle; there are interesting island characters--it's such a fun book.

Overall, this is a great read. It's engaging, and heartbreaking at times and sweet and funny at others. I loved the characters and felt totally caught up in the story. I am very much looking forward to book #2 (if not the wait for it!). 4.5 stars.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Google+ ~ Instagram



View all my reviews

No comments: