Sunday, February 17, 2019

Voices I could never trust: LOVE LIES BENEATH.

Love Lies Beneath (Love Lies Beneath, #1)Love Lies Beneath by Ellen Hopkins

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars


Tara is a lovely forty-year who is once widowed, twice divorced. She's independent, both financially and in her relationships. She had a tough childhood with an unpredictable and volatile mother. Then, while skiing with her sister, Tara injuries her knee. As such, she meets Cavin, a handsome orthopedic surgeon. Tara quickly finds herself falling for Cavin, who is charismatic and wealthy. After her surgery, she moves in with Cavin and is dependent on him while she heals. She also meets his awkward teenage son, Eli, who doesn't seem too happy to have Tara in his life. Tara starts receiving odd threats and other strange things begin happening. Is Tara safe--and who is responsible for these bizarre occurrences?

This was one of those strange books that I didn't really enjoy, yet I couldn't stop reading. It takes a very long time to build up to its description--and I'd argue that it never really delivers on what it promised. Yes, there's a lot of simmering, ominous things that occur in the background (threats, texts), but I was expecting more outright terror and abuse. Honestly, not much really happens, you know? The big twist comes on literally the last two pages. Now, it's a good twist, and it's probably enough that I'll eventually track down and read the second book, but sheesh. I would have liked a little more excitement during the rest of the book, instead of it all jammed into the last few pages.

Still, the book was interesting enough that I felt drawn to Tara. The book revolves very much around her and her perspective. The background events keep you confused and wondering if more is going to occur (it doesn't, really). I'll be intrigued to see what happens in book #2. 2.5 stars.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Google+ ~ Instagram



View all my reviews

No comments: