Friday, February 11, 2022

With a smile all sweet with pain: THE ARC.

The ArcThe Arc by Tory Henwood Hoen
My rating: 3.75 of 5 stars

Ursula Byrne is thirty-five, single, and lives with her cat. Her life revolves around her career (and the cat), and she's starting to wonder if it will always be that way. Most of her dates are disasters (reminder the time she threw up on the first date?) and she's underwhelmed by the men she comes across on the dating apps. But then discovers The Arc: a very selective matchmaking service that uses a week-long, immersive assessment to architect lifelong love. It's expensive, but they promise 100% success. Ursula is paired with Rafael Banks, a lawyer. Their connection is immediate, but as their relationship continues, they begin to wonder about The Arc and its role in their life. Can lifelong love truly can be guaranteed?

"'My fertile years are waning, my chance at love has passed, my cat is my greatest asset,' she thought."

This was one of the weirdest books I've read in quite some yet I found it oddly mesmerizing, even when Ursula and Rafael were at their most annoying moments. Probably I'm not smart enough for a book like this (I find this happens a lot with books set in NYC and featuring single thirty-somethings). Even now, I'm not sure if THE ARC was a true romance, satire, or something in between.

For instance, Ursula and her best friend belong to The Stake, billed as a nouveau feminist wellness club. What would be a private club or gym for the rest of us is some sort of strange immersive experience for them, where they can participate in things like the Scream Den, Smash Center (literally smashing things), Swaddle Station, Sobbing Pods, and more. Massages are intense and emotional experiences. I never could quite figure out if it was all for real.

As for The Arc, they charge Ursula the cool price of $40,500 to match her for life (adjusted down from $50,000 for Rafael, what with the gender wage gap and all). But, since she's a VP for strategic audacity, she can consider this ridiculous sum. Why, yes, this is her real title. I believe most of us would consider it marketing or advertising. Again, mocking? Again, I'm not sure. Throughout the book Ursula struggled with her place in her career, and I found it very easy to identify with her and the struggles of females in corporate America. Honestly, it was one of the things that endeared her to me. Some of the pieces of the book may have been exaggerated, but the sexism Ursula faced was not. Same with her trying to find a balance between happiness and a career.

As for Ursula and Rafael, this probably would have been a 4+-star read for me (even with all the weirdness!) if I liked them more as a couple. I need to be fully invested in my couple for a romance, and while I liked them both, I wasn't able to completely root for them together. (I did, however, love Ursula's Russian Blue cat, Mallory.) The book slowed the most when they were together.

THE ARC offers a nearly sociological look at relationships and society. It's humorous at times and serious at others. The book is more character driven and deep than a regular contemporary romance--expect pondering, delving into societal customs and the meaning of love. Honestly, I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would based on other reviews. It's different and often witty, and some of the messaging is really interesting. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you're willing to get out of your comfort zone, it's worth a try. 3.75 stars.

I received a copy of this book from St. Martin's Press and Netgalley in return for an unbiased review.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Smashbomb ~ Instagram

View all my reviews

No comments: