Monday, July 25, 2022

I don't even care if you're here when I wake up: THE SUMMER PLACE.

The Summer PlaceThe Summer Place by Jennifer Weiner


A twisted soap opera that begins when twenty-two-year old Ruby announces she's getting married, shocking her stepmom, Sarah. THE SUMMER PLACE is set during the pandemic and Ruby and Gabe have been living with Sarah and her husband Eli during COVID times. Ruby's step-grandmother, Ronnie, is thrilled to host the wedding at her beach house in Cape Cod... mainly because she's planning to sell it after, something none of the rest of the family knows yet. Also in the mix is Sarah's twin brother, Sam, reeling from the death of his wife and struggling to raise his stepson, Connor.

Whew... this is a wild ride! When I say soap opera, I mean it! There is cheating galore, a ton of misunderstandings, arguments, and so much more! You need to be prepared for drama at every turn and to swallow a bunch of coincidences that bombard this family constantly. There are some really weird family dynamics at play here, everyone.

Honestly, I do not mind a soapy read in the least. Heck, I watched DAYS and PASSIONS in my lifetime! My problem with this one is that it lacked Weiner's usual lyrical and emotive writing. Each chapter was told from a different POV and it felt like a beginner's novel. "First we did this and then I felt that and then this happened and ..." There was none of the passion and beauty I usually see in her work. I kept reading because I needed to find out what was happening with this trainwreck of a family, but I wasn't drawn to the characters or their lives due to the lackluster writing. Sam was my favorite, but even he made some... interesting ... choices.

Still, Weiner gives us a lot of insight into motherhood, marriage, love, loss, and the place of women at various points in society. I had hoped for more here, but it squeezed out a 3-star rating for me (probably with a little favoritism thrown in, because I'm such a Jennifer Weiner fan).

I received a copy of this book from Atria Books and Netgalley in return for an unbiased review.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Smashbomb ~ Instagram


View all my reviews

No comments: