Thursday, July 21, 2022

You’re wondering now how long it’ll take before I start missing you: I'LL BE YOU.

I'll Be YouI'll Be You by Janelle Brown
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

As children, identical twin sisters Sam and Elli were child actors who spent nearly all their time together. Sam loved acting and spending nearly every moment with her sister. But Elli was a reluctant actress and longed for more space and privacy. After acting, Elli dedicated herself to being the perfect wife and dreamed of being the perfect mother as well. Sam never recovered from losing acting, bouncing from one job to the next, struggling with addiction. She's shocked when her parents call her, telling her that Elli has disappeared to a strange spa, leaving her newly adopted young daughter, Charlotte, with their parents. Sam goes to help her parents with Charlotte and tries to figure out what's happened with Elli. As she pieces things together, she wonders if Elli has joined a cult and if her decisions will threaten them all.

This was sort of a strange book. Please note that a 3-star rating doesn't mean I did not like it; I just didn't love it. I admit I had hoped for more based on the author's previous book, and I found this to be less of a mystery and more a character-driven story, though there are certainly twists and plot pieces to figure out as the story moves along.

The focus here is basically entirely on Sam and Elli. The book is told from both their perspectives, and I felt myself drawn more to Sam, despite all her issues (she has many, including addiction to various substances and the ability to abandon and betray all who love her). Yet Elli seems more brittle and when the book shifts to her point of view, it seems almost jarring.

YOU is filled with thoughts on twins, sisterhood, and reflections on self. It's a very thoughtful and reflective tale, even with the central theme of Elli's whereabouts at its core. There are a few surprises thrown in, but if you go into this one expecting more of an exploration of sisters and their relationship, you'll enjoy it more. 3 stars.

I received a copy of this book from Random House Publishing Group and Netgalley in return for an unbiased review.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Smashbomb ~ Instagram

View all my reviews

No comments: