Tuesday, November 01, 2022

I have been to the movies, I've seen how it ends: THE PRISONER.

The PrisonerThe Prisoner by B.A. Paris
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Orphaned in her teens, Amelie journeys from Paris to London on her own. She forms a friendship with a woman named Carolyn, who gives Amelie a job and helps her learn to survive. Amelie eventually meets Ned Hawthorpe through Carolyn's friends, who work at his magazine. The two marry, but before Amelie knows it, they are kidnapped and held for ransom. Who has taken them--and will they ever escape?

The first half to three quarters of this thriller flew by like gangbusters. I was fascinated to know why Amelie was kidnapped and what was going on. The book is told from Amelie in captivity and also explains the past in snippets. We learn how Amelie came to London and how she wound up married to the wealthy Ned.

Honestly, I read a lot of bad reviews for this one before I picked it up, and they actually helped me, because while this is in no way the world's best thriller, it wasn't as bad as some had made it out to be, ha. Sometimes it's the books that get the glowing reviews that turn out to be disappointments to me! Now, yes, the plot is going to be a bit ridiculous here. It's B.A. Paris after all. And what dropped this a star or so for me, after the book started off so well, was the ending, which sort of turned things off course. It was odd and dragged things down. It also seemed to leave some loose ends.

Overall, this is a page-turner of a thriller that will probably be easy to forget in short time. It's a quick and crazy read. Please note a trigger warning for sexual assault.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and St. Martin's Press in return for an unbiased review. Look for THE PRISONER on 11/1/2022!


Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Smashbomb ~ Instagram

View all my reviews

No comments: