Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Some people get religion some people get the truth: HUSBAND MATERIAL.

Husband Material (London Calling, #2)Husband Material by Alexis Hall
My rating: 4+ of 5 stars

Book two in the London Calling series picks up with Oliver and Luc happily together... but is there such a thing as too happily? Luc is struggling with settling down in a life of calm domestic bliss, while Oliver must deal with the fact that his conservative parents still do not approve of their relationship. Are they truly meant to be?

"This made no sense. I was happier than I had ever been in my life. So why did I feel like I was failing?"

I really enjoyed this one! I was sold at Four Weddings and a Funeral, queer style. MATERIAL is an excellent blend of witty and serious. I forgot how much I loved the mix of Luc's humor and Oliver's dry wit--their group of friends is often just plain crazy and outright batty, but Hall makes it work. In fact, what leads to the book's success is the tenderness and emotional depth of Luc and Oliver's relationship. Their story focuses not only on their love but the religious elements of marriage and their role and place in the gay community. Oliver and Luc come at this place from very different spectrums, and Oliver's parents certainly do not help. The emotions Oliver experiences as he grapples with his homophobic parents are portrayed so touchingly and realistically--Hall does this portion so beautifully.

MATERIAL gives us a great look at the ups and downs of relationships. What I love is that the book treats Luc and Oliver just like any couple (straight or gay) while also exploring queer-specific topics, looking at the subjects beyond the hetero-normative lens.

The social commentary along with the sweet romance and story is great here. This is such a charming, witty, and fun tale about a wonderful couple. I know the entire book led up to justifying the ending, but I didn't fully love it, which is the only reason my rating isn't even higher. Still, 4+ stars.

View all my reviews

No comments: