Thursday, July 20, 2023

I'll leave the luggage of all your lies behind: WITH TEETH.

With TeethWith Teeth by Kristen Arnett
My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars

Sammie dreams of a perfect life with her wife Monica and their son, Samson. But it seems like that life always slips through her grasp. She can never bond with Samson, who grows from a strange kid to an angry teen. She tries--driving him to swim lessons, cooking meals, and working on school projects--but it's never enough for Samson, or Monica.

"How strange that she always wanted to be home, Sammie thought--because when she finally got there, it felt like she was being smothered under a pillow."

I'm sure WITH TEETH is a wonderful piece of literature that makes deep statements about its topics--motherhood, marriage, and more--but for me, this was a really weird book. It did not seem to be doing us lesbians any favors, either, with its portrayal of two rather bad mothers and their messed up marriage. The ending was totally confusing, leaving me frustrated. There are some great gems in the book--it really does offer great insight into motherhood and marriage, but overall, I didn't enjoy it. 2.5 stars.



View all my reviews

No comments: