Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Hold me tight so I don't have to think: FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE.

Forever Hold Your PeaceForever Hold Your Peace by Liz Fenton
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

June and Amy are not thrilled when their young (but grown, mind you) children come home from a trip abroad with the news that they are engaged. June thought she was close to Olivia, but bungles it when her daughter reveals the engagement, creating distance between them. Amy and Zach have been close since she divorced his father when Zach was a toddler, and no girlfriend has ever measured up to Amy's standards. She cannot believe that Zach didn't tell her about the engagement until coming home. But nothing beats June or Amy's surprise when the parents meet for the first time, and the two women realize that they know each other: they were once best friends in college, but a shocking event broke up their friendship for life. June and Amy are horrified to realize their kids are getting married, but try to shift the focus to breaking up Zach and Olivia's rapid engagement.

I had assumed this was a thriller, as per the authors' usual MO. It's not, but it's still a really captivating read. There is drama supreme here with the parents' saga! Some of the characters are quite annoying (I'm looking at you, Amy). Still, I couldn't help but keep reading. It's a silly story but a quick read. No character felt particularly fleshed out, but I felt engaged by June and Amy's story. The book is really just as much about the older characters as the young, even if it opens on Zach and Olivia's whirlwind romance.

There's a bit of romance thrown in here (beyond our young couple) and the ending is fairly cute. I do hate the trope of lying and miscommunication, though--I sure wish that happened a little less here. 3.5 stars.

I received a copy of this book from Alcove Press and Netgalley in return an unbiased review. Look for FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE on 07/11/2023!!

View all my reviews

No comments: