Saturday, July 22, 2023

Take me home and leave me there: LONG SHOT.

Long Shot (Hoops, #1)Long Shot by Kennedy Ryan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

August West is about to play a huge game in the NCAA tournament. The night before the big game, he meets a beautiful and mesmerizing woman, Iris, and they have a wonderful conversation. Nothing more happens, but August cannot get over Iris. At the game, he realizes that Iris is the girlfriend of his greatest basketball nemesis, Caleb. Iris and August cannot be together, but they also cannot stop thinking about one another.

This is the first book I've read by Kennedy Ryan, and I was totally into it. I *love* basketball so living in the world of the NBA (August is quickly drafted), even a slightly fictionalized NBA, was so much fun. I need more NBA romance in my life.

The first thing to know about LONG SHOT is that it's not a light and fluffy read. It offers a very realistic (and potentially very triggering) look at rape and domestic abuse. This part of the story can sometimes be horrific and hard to read. However, I think it's very respectfully done--even educational--and really debunks the awful "well, why didn't she just leave?!" argument so well. But, if this is a tough subject for you, I would recommend skipping this book.

Otherwise, LONG SHOT offers an emotional, sexy story. August is a wonderful character, and I just adored Iris. There's a cute kid and tons of basketball references. You will cry, you will swoon, and you will root for Iris and August forever. 4 stars.


View all my reviews

No comments: