Wednesday, October 04, 2023

Never mind the blinding skies: FLY WITH ME.

Fly with MeFly with Me by Andie Burke
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The abundance of lesbian romances out in the world now makes me so happy. Reading this book also made me realize that there's an untapped market out there (ok maybe just for me) of lesbian romances set at Disney World. I love the combination of queer woman and that wonderful place.

But, I digress. Nurse Olive Murphy is terrified of flying, so it seems only fitting that on her first trip on a plane, a man has a medical emergency. The plane is diverted, and Olive goes viral for heroically saving his life. One of the pilots, Stella Soriano (that name just sounds beautiful, doesn't it?) offers to drive Olive from Atlanta to Florida so she can make the marathon she's running at Disney World in honor of her brother. Stella Soriano, of course, is a gorgeous, sexy, pilot, because why wouldn't she be? Olive slogs through her race, Stella is waiting for her at the end, and the two have a beautiful day (and night) at Disney. As all good lesbians should.

Then Stella asks Olive to be her (fake) girlfriend. With Olive going viral, Stella is sure this publicity will help her finally get the promotion to captain she's been desiring for so long. As reasons to fake date in romances this one seems a bit flaky, but I've seen worse. And have I mentioned that Stella Soriano is really hot? And that Olive is absolutely adorable and funny? Please fake date ladies, please.

Burke writes Olive wonderfully. She made me laugh out loud. The book is told entirely from her point of view, which I feel like is rare anymore, but it totally worked. Burke is a former nurse who writes Olive quite realistically. Even more, she writes Olive's brother, a terminally ill patient, with complete respect. Olive suffers from anxiety and depression and that topic plays a strong role in the plot, but it's well-done and portrayed in a very appropriate fashion.

The emotion in this book! Olive's family was terrible. Downright awful. I wanted to jump through the pages and give this poor woman a hug (and push her into Stella's arms). Stella and Olive felt like authentic lesbians with whom I would be friends. Olive is scared she's a burden for Stella and Stella's afraid her workaholic issues are too much for Olive. Get it together, ladies! At the core, their romance is so sweet, and you cannot help but root for them.

When reading, it's clear this is Burke's first book, but this is still a very witty, enjoyable sapphic romance. Also, I feel as if Olive's friend Derek is the true superstar of this story and deserves his own book (with appearances from Gus the dog, of course). 4 stars.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and St. Martin's Press in return for an unbiased review.


View all my reviews

No comments: