Friday, January 25, 2019

Can I live long enough to be alive: DON'T WAKE UP.

Don't Wake UpDon't Wake Up by Liz Lawler

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Alex Taylor is excited to head off to a nice dinner with her boyfriend. But instead, she wakes up strapped to an operating table. She quickly realizes the man above her isn't a doctor, but he intends to do unspeakable things to her. However, when Alex wakes up, she appears unharmed. She's back in the parking lot of the hospital where she works. Even worse, no one believes her when she shares her story. Not her boyfriend, not her friends, and not her medical colleagues. Alex becomes haunted by what happened that night, performing badly at work and becoming convinced that there are other victims like her. Did something really happen to Alex, or is she going crazy?

This was one of those books that I won on Librarything and then totally enjoyed being introduced to a new author. It was a little wild and crazy in places, but it kept me engrossed and reading, which I really appreciated. I was amazed that absolutely no one seemed to believe Alex: I understand that she had no real evidence to back up her story, but it seemed tragic to me how quickly her friends and family abandoned her to sadness and despair.

I wasn't sure I would like this book at first, because I'm not a huge fan of the unreliable narrator to begin with, especially the self-pitying alcoholic one, which seemed to fit Alex quite well. But, I won't lie, she definitely grew on me. This was *even with* the fact that something else had happened in Alex's life thirteen months ago--something that her friends and co-workers felt she had conflated with her "pretend attack," and everyone, including Alex, referred to incessantly. But, of course, it took forever for anyone to tell us what had actually happened, which drove me a little insane. There's dragging something out for suspense and then there's annoying your reader to no end!

However, I really enjoyed the fact that we couldn't trust any of our characters--even the policewoman investigating Alex's case, Laura Best, who was only out to further her career, not actually seek justice for Alex. My favorite character was Laura's boss, Greg Turner. He was a great detective, and I could totally root for him in his own series. Not being able to trust anybody else, though, was kind of fun. It kept me constantly guessing. The book was surprisingly compelling: truly a page-turner. There were some great twists and turns in this one. I guessed a couple of pieces, but not all of them. In the end, I stayed up late to finish this book, which is always a sign of a winner for me (my sleep is a precious commodity!).

Overall, this was probably a 3.5 star book in many ways, but I was impressed that this was the author's debut. I also enjoyed how it kept me madly flipping the pages, trying to figure out what happened. In the end, a 4-star rating. I see Liz Lawler has another book out now, and I'll definitely be checking that one out at some point.

I received a copy of this novel from the publisher and Librarything in return for an unbiased review (thank you!).

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Google+ ~ Instagram



View all my reviews

No comments: