Monday, January 28, 2019

I never meant to do you any harm: THE TEMP.

The TempThe Temp by Michelle Frances

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Carrie is a television producer married to Adrian, a television writer. She has signed him to an exclusive deal with the production company where she's recently started working. They've come up with what they think is a brilliant idea for their next show. But their big plans feel threatened when Carrie realizes she's pregnant--and she plans to keep the baby. Carrie and Adrian's glamorous life never included children, and it's clear he isn't keen on welcoming a child into their life now. Carrie and Adrian's boss brings on a temporary maternity hire, Emma, to assist. She's young, pretty, and while rather inexperienced, she's quite clever. Carrie is immediately threatened by Emma, but Adrian welcomes her input to his scripts and writing. Carrie's convinced Emma wants her job--and then some. Is she right?


"He was thinking of his career right now and part of her didn't blame him. The timing was awful. Everything had been going so well: the new job, signing Adrian, the green light! It was the worst possible time to be having a baby."


This was an odd yet very readable book. In some ways the story sort of meandered along, as the plot unfolds from Carrie, Emma, and Adrian's point of view. But I have to admit, it had me pretty well hooked. From nearly the beginning, I was curious as to what Emma's deal was. She clearly had some reason she wanted to be a temp for Adrian and Carrie in particular--we just didn't know exactly why. Figuring out her story was pretty interesting overall, and I enjoyed the read.

I was pulled into Emma's world--it took a bit of time to warm up to her overall character, but it was easy to be puzzled by her intentions. I wound up liking both her and Carrie and feeling a bit sorry for them. I also liked the backdrop of the TV writing world--it was an interesting background for a novel. There are not a lot of characters in this novel: we really have our main three, but they are fairly flushed out, and you get to know them well.

There are some good twists and turns in this one. I would still describe it overall as a meandering read in some ways. We sort of wander along with Emma, Carrie, and Adrian, discovering bits and pieces of their lives, especially their pasts. Then, with only a very small percentage of the book left, we're thrown one very abrupt twist, which, while quite a surprise to me, seemed really thrown in out of left field. I would have maybe liked to have seen a bit more lead up to that one.

Still, even with the abrupt, twisty ending, this was an enjoyable read. It kept me engaged and guessing. I liked being sucked into Emma and Carrie's worlds and wondering about Emma's motives. 3.5 stars.

I received a copy of this novel from the publisher and Netgalley in return for an unbiased review (thank you!).

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Google+ ~ Instagram



View all my reviews

No comments: