Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Holding the love I've known in my life: WINTER STREET.

Winter Street (Winter, #1)Winter Street by Elin Hilderbrand

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


Kelley Quinn, owner of the Nantucket's Winter Street Inn, is looking forward to Christmas--a time full of traditions at his Inn. But then he walks in on his second wife, Mitzi, kissing Santa Claus. Or at least George, the burly man who plays Santa each year at the Inn. Suddenly, Kelley's life is as upended as that of his children's. His three eldest children with his first wife--Patrick, Kevin, and Ava--are each embroiled in turmoil and dramas of their own. And Bart, his spoiled son with Mitzi, deployed to Afghanistan right before Christmas. And now it's Christmas and the entire Quinn clan finds themselves together for Christmas: a dysfunctional, dramatic, and potentially heart-warming Christmas.

I've been on an Elin Hilderbrand kick lately, especially after reading WINTER IN PARADISE, the first book in her new Paradise series. I loved that one immensely. I didn't love this one quite as much, but still found it a really easy, quick, and enjoyable read. I read it in one day--half while I was at the hospital with my daughter and half when I got home that evening. Because it's so enjoyable with such great characters, I found it a great diversion.

The characters are classic Hilderbrand: a messed up family that immediately pulls you in. I love how easy it is to get entangled in her tales. There's Kelley, of course, who is completely befuddled as his second marriage is falling apart. Ava, a music teacher, lives at the inn, and is struggling with her current relationship. Kevin, works at a bar, isn't living up to the family's high standards, and is in love with the housekeeper. Patrick, the eldest, is a very successful hedge fund manager with a secret (or two). Bart comes across as spoiled in the past but is now worrying the entire family as they haven't heard from him since his deployment. And then there's Margaret: the eldest three kids' mother. She's a successful newswoman and tv anchor and Kelley's first wife. I really liked her.

Somehow the book seamlessly weaves these characters together, along with their various love interests, spouses, and, yes, George the Santa. It's funny, heartbreaking, and well, completely intriguing. I love Hilderbrand's series because they suck me in and transport me to another place for a few hours (2 hours and 38 minutes, per my Bookly app).

I nabbed all the books in this series from Paperbackswap.com, and I've been hoarding the next three for when I go on vacation in April -- I'm looking forward to seeing what is next in store for the Quinns. Especially since, in true Hilderbrand fashion, this one ended in a cliffhanger!

Overall, I enjoyed this one. It's a quick, dramatic read with interesting characters. 3.5 stars.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Google+ ~ Instagram ~ Smashbomb

I received my copy of this book through one of my favorite websites, Paperbackswap.com, where you can swap copies of all your favorite books (hardcover, paperback, and more).



View all my reviews

No comments: