Thursday, March 14, 2019

You scare me more than the hard times: THE NIGHT VISITORS.

The Night VisitorsThe Night Visitors by Carol Goodman

My rating: 4+ of 5 stars


When Mattie, a social worker, gets the call that a woman and child are arriving on a bus and need her assistance, she's ready. The call came into the hotline at the Sanctuary, and they know Mattie is always available to help out and take those in need--especially domestic violence victims--to a nearby shelter or safe house. But when Mattie sees Alice and ten-year-old Oren get off the bus that snowy night, she somehow can't drop them off at the shelter. Is it because Oren reminds her so much of her own little brother, Caleb, frozen in time forever at the age of ten? Mattie isn't the only one breaking the rules and holding things back, though. Alice and Oren have secrets too. And as the snowstorm around them intensifies, so does the danger.

I just love Carol Goodman's books. She has eerie, creepy, Gothic writing down perfectly, and this book was certainly no exception. I was hooked from the beginning. This novel alternates between Mattie and Alice's perspectives. Mattie is older (fifties), living alone in her decrepit home, damaged by her past.


"When I told Anita that I didn't believe in God she'd pressed the medal into my hand and told me that I should just say a prayer to whatever I did believe in. So I say my prayers to Anita Esteban, who left her drunk, no-good husband, raised three children on her own, went back to school, and earned a law degree. She's what I believe in."


I took to her immediately. You know that there's definitely more to each woman's story than meets the eye, and it's fascinating to watch their stories unfold. Alice shows up with a story about running away from an abusive relationship. Oren, she claims, is all she cares about. Is that true? How much can we trust either of the women? What I loved was that the book had me guessing the entire time. It was incredibly captivating, and both women seemed so real.

As for Oren, he was great, too, and you immediately wanted to protect him. The novel definitely has some creepy and mysterious pieces to it. It's less about suspending disbelief than just engaging with the story--becoming a part of it. I certainly found myself spooked a few times. It's a compelling tale, which will keep you engaged, intrigued by the characters, and culminates is a really great twisty (and twisted) story. This one isn't necessarily for the faint of heart; there are some brutal moments here. But what I really loved is that while this can be a very dark story, it's also weirdly sweet, too. I was very touched in places--a true sign that I'd grown to love these characters.

Overall, another enjoyable book from Goodman. She has a way of sucking you into the landscape of her books--and suddenly you are engrossed by the story and its characters. This one was eerie, captivating, mysterious, and yet oddly heartwarming at times. 4+ stars.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher and Edelweiss in return for an unbiased review (thank you!); it is available everywhere as of 03/26/2019.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Google+ ~ Instagram ~ Smashbomb



View all my reviews

No comments: