Friday, January 28, 2022

And he must do something that I didn't do: LAST COUPLE STANDING

Last Couple StandingLast Couple Standing by Matthew Norman
My rating: 3.75 of 5 stars

Jessica and Mitch Butler have been married for fifteen years. But when the other three couples of their "Core Four"--a group of best friends from college, all of whom happen to be paired off and married--get divorced, they feel forced to reexamine their marriage. Deciding that the Core Four marriages broke apart due to sex (not having it, having it with other people while married, etc.), Jessica and Mitch embark on a marriage experiment. They set up rules, discuss conditions, and even help each other out with dating site profiles. But as lines get blurred and feelings burn hot, they start to wonder if they've made a terrible mistake.

"Everything that went so thoroughly wrong that spring can be traced back to The Divorces."

Sometimes a book comes along at the exact right time, and I think STANDING was that for me. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed this book nearly as much a decade ago, but I really liked it at this point in my life. It captures marriage with young kids spot on and does so in a mostly humorous way, though it certainly has its poignant (and cringe-worthy) spots.

Norman examines marriage through a funny but truthful prism, as Jessica and Mitch struggle with marriage: if their friends are all splitting, surely they must be next. Mitch watches his once married best friends, several of whom are also dads, out and about in the dating world again. Jess sees the same with her female pals, as they despair over the fact that the men can easily nab younger women but they are relegated to older men. The book may rely on cliches a bit too often (and I hated the constant references to "the Wives" and "the Husbands") but I have to admit... a lot of those cliches are true.

There are also some excellent teen storylines thrown in, between a patient of Jessica's (she's a therapist, of course) and one of Mitch's high school English students who also happens to be his next door neighbor. This kid, Luke, was truly one of my favorite characters. I was also a fan of the Baltimore/Maryland settings, as I recognized a lot of places.

Overall, I can see how this book might come across as a little banal to some, but if you're married and slogging through life with kids, you'll find a lot to laugh at and love here. This is a funny yet touching tale. 3.75 stars.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Smashbomb ~ Instagram



View all my reviews

No comments: