Thursday, January 26, 2023

I'd have no home if you left me alone: THAT WEEKEND.

That WeekendThat Weekend by Kara Thomas
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Claire and her friends Kat and Jesse sneak away during prom to Kat's family's lake house for a camping trip. But everything goes wrong when Claire wakes up alone, covered in blood, with no memory of what happened over the weekend. Kat and Jesse are gone, and after a crazy series of events, the police and FBI declare them dead. The weekend plagues Claire and she sets out to figure out what happened to friends, only to realize she's not sure she wants to find the answers.

THAT WEEKEND is a definite page-turner; I flew through it. It starts off very exciting, as you desperately want to determine what happened to Kat and Jesse. Things get a little more convoluted as Claire returns home and starts conducting her own investigation. Soon you start wondering if and why the FBI cannot do what Claire is doing. Claire is also a bit of a listless character... she seems to have little personality beyond wanting to find her friends. There are also a lot of heartless characters, making it really hard to root for anyone here.

This is a fast read and it's interesting, but it lost the thread a bit for me as the story went on. Still enjoyed it overall. 3.5 stars.

Also, this was my first book of my 2023 random # generator shelves challenge, where I've numbered my bookshelves (in a spreadsheet) and used a random google number generator to pick the shelf and then the book!

View all my reviews

No comments: